Saturday, October 16, 2010

Chapter 9: The Changing South

Reading the chapter made me realize something I never expected, something almost humorously ironic in a way. I got really excited when I thought the chapter would finally relate to my location of choosing, Florida, and I would have a lot of information to relate to.

However, as the chapter states, the southern culture is not coincidental with the census South. Peninsular Florida and coastal Texas, which are both locationally the most southern states, are in fact the least imbued with the South's culture.

Northern Florida is in fact considered part of the changing south. Southern Florida, however, is in the transitional area.


Northern Florida, as opposed to Southern Florida, is less industrialized and more prominent in agriculture. However, this is changing over time.

In fact, as our text book shows, Southern Florida (and later all of Florida) was one of the first areas to replace coal with electricity as a primary home heating fuel.




No comments:

Post a Comment